By: Virginia P. Reno
Published: July, 2010
Testimony of Virginia P. Reno, Vice President for Income Security at the National Academy of Social Insurance, at a hearing on “Social Security at 75 Years: More Necessary Now Than Ever,” before the Subcommittee on Social Security, Committee on Ways and Means, U.S. House of Representatives.
In my remarks today, I will make the following points:
- We can afford Social Security in the future.
- Benefits are essential to elders, children, and the broad middle class of Americans who depend on wages for their livelihood.
- Americans value Social Security and are willing to improve it and pay for it.
- We have options to target more adequate benefits to vulnerable groups.
- History offers innovative solutions to end the long-term shortfall.
- A timely solution will benefit American workers and their families
Download the full testimony below to read more.
View the testimony on YouTube here.